A robots. txt file lives at the root of your site. So, for site www.example.com , the robots. txt file lives at www.example.com/robots.txt .
Where is robots txt FTP?
As the name suggests, Robots. txt is a simple text file. This file is stored in the root directory of your website. To find it, simply open your FTP tool and navigate to your website directory under public_html.
Where is my robots txt file in WordPress?
Robots. txt is a text file located in your root WordPress directory. You can access it by opening the your-website.com/robots.txt URL in your browser. It serves to let search engine bots know which pages on your website should be crawled and which shouldn’t.
Where do I put robots txt in search console?
Use the robots. txt Tester in Search Console to download a copy of your robots. txt file. Click Submit in the bottom-right corner of the robots.
How do I find the robots txt file on a website?
Test your robots. txt file
- Open the tester tool for your site, and scroll through the robots. …
- Type in the URL of a page on your site in the text box at the bottom of the page.
- Select the user-agent you want to simulate in the dropdown list to the right of the text box.
- Click the TEST button to test access.
How do I create a robots txt file?
Open Notepad, Microsoft Word or any text editor and save the file as ‘robots,’ all lowercase, making sure to choose . txt as the file type extension (in Word, choose ‘Plain Text’ ).
How do I upload a robots txt file to WordPress?
Create or edit robots. txt in the WordPress Dashboard
- Log in to your WordPress website. When you’re logged in, you will be in your ‘Dashboard’.
- Click on ‘SEO’. On the left-hand side, you will see a menu. …
- Click on ‘Tools’. …
- Click on ‘File Editor’. …
- Make the changes to your file.
- Save your changes.
What is robots txt WordPress?
Robots. txt is a text file which allows a website to provide instructions to web crawling bots. … It does this to see if a website’s owner has some special instructions on how to crawl and index their site. The robots. txt file contains a set of instructions that request the bot to ignore specific files or directories.
Do I need a robots txt file?
txt file is not required for a website. If a bot comes to your website and it doesn’t have one, it will just crawl your website and index pages as it normally would. A robot. txt file is only needed if you want to have more control over what is being crawled.